Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

avrdude timeouts uploading sketches > 105k

Discussion in 'Taurino Power' started by Quentin, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Hi, i'am using a taurino power trying to run repetier firmware.
    I noticed, that if i try to upload the firmware that exceeds a certain amount of data, it won't upload, instead after some short quick blinks, the led turnes into a steady light.

Trying to find to find a solution i found this
    http://www.desert-home.com/2012/05/arduino-mega2560-wrapping-up-bootloader.html

My question is - is the bootloader that shipped with the taurino power in Jan/Feb 2013 "patched" with that fixed bootloader or is there any other way of coming across that problem ?

I'am using OS X 1.8.3 running Arduino 1.04, trying to upload repetier firmware 0.82.

Attached Files:

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Any ideas ?
    Help would greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

3. Seadevil

Seadevil New Member

I think I had a similar problem u til I installed the OSX port driver that came with arduino 22 (slightly older version)

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Yes, it has something to do with the driver used in osx, cause i can upload the sketch using arduino ide 1.04 and an avrisp mkII.
    Still pretty annoying to undo my ramps to use the avrisp ...

Question, is there an icsp port on the ramps itself ? if yes, were is it located on that picture ?

Attached Files:

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

As i read here the taurino power (cause its an Mega2560 R3, right ?) dont uses that FTDi chip any longer.
    So is there a different driver, that differs from that build into OSX10.8.3 ?
    Thanks in advance.

The Mega2560 differs from all preceding boards in that it does not use the FTDI USB-to-serial driver chip. Instead, it features the ATmega16U2

6. Seadevil

Seadevil New Member

7. BubbleRep

BubbleRep Administrator Staff Member

we discovered under linux that there is a process called modem manager which disturbs the communications, so you should check if there might be a process which has modem in the name and kill it and try again.

BR
    BubbleRep

8. Seadevil

Seadevil New Member

One final thing to check on the timeout issue: On my mac I opened the serial port "/dev/cu.usbmodem1d11" from arduino. (That was my default, and it worked so I don't know the difference between that and the tty one) I posted a video of loading the software on yoiutube and you can see the the serial port @ time 6:19. I'd like to hear what you do to get it working if the driver and port don't work for you. As I said before I could program the old arduino-uno without the driver. I tried "blink" on the taurino and then one of the ascii examples had the same problem you described. I was about to reflash the boot loader, but I decided to just try the driver included in 22. Once I did that I was able to load blink, then marlin with no problems. (maybe I lucked into the driver/port combo?)

Hope that helps and good luck,
    randy

9. BubbleRep

ah you are right mac don't uses /dev/tty*, it uses this /dev/cm.usbmodem* thing you mentioned. Hm yeah could be that you lucked in on that.

Thank you for the update.

BR
    BubbleRep

10. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Thanks Randy, great informative video.
    I still think that the osX driver you used doesn't come in place, cause the 2560 R3 isn't using the fdti chip.
    Can you confirm this BubbleRep ?

To clarify, i have no problems uploading the marlin firmware using Arduino 1.03 or 1.04 which in my case, results in a filesize of 103.5k.
    But i failed trying to flash the repetier firmware, which is explained here in my posting at the end of this thread https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/deltabot/eUWZ3a4nxfk

Anyway, Bubblerep mentioned in the ticket i opened, that the cure to this is using an avrisp mkII to flash a the bootloader.
    My question is, which bootloader to flash on the taurino power using Atmel Studio 6?
    The second one (16U2 LUFA/Arduino based USB2Serial Firmware) listed on this page http://reprap.org/wiki/Taurino

Thanks again for the help, hope this helps some else as well, cause their are a lot of threads on the web, which are more confusing than helpful at least for me :)

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Finally the solution to all of this is to flash the bootloader that comes with Arduino 1.04. (read the release notes)
    Just goto Tools/Install bootloader and all problems went away !
    No need for special drivers using OS X 10.8.3 !

12. Ben Mah

Ben Mah New Member

I have problem uploading Marlin on my Mac OS X 10.7 with Arduino 1.05. Any help is appreciated. Installed FTDI driver. Tried dev/tty and dev/cuxxx.
    HELP

13. JRDM

JRDM New Member

I'm using Mac OS 10.8.5, and my Taurino Power boards have a sticker saying 09/13 and 08/13. I get the timeout errors noted above.

I have an AVR ISP and did a "burn bootloader" from Arduino 1.0.5 and the behavior is still the same as befpre. Am I missing something? Do I need to reflash the 16U2 chips?

14. BubbleRep

15. JRDM

JRDM New Member

It seems to work fine, thanks.

16. JRDM

JRDM New Member

I did a test on all the boards in my 10 pack of Taurino Power boards. They all required updating. This update also fixed a Taurino Power I bought several months ago. I thought I had fried it or it was defective, it too only had a faulty firmware flashed into it.