Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Burned component

Discussion in 'RUMBA' started by David Rosendahl, Feb 22, 2013.

1. David Rosendahl

David Rosendahl New Member

Hi!
    I have nearly successfully used RUMBA for a week now on my printer but I have some problems with missing steps on the Y-axis that I wanted to solve. Since I have (with tests) ruled out overheating of both stepper and motor and also to low current (the y-axis is strong) I thought I will test change to use like E2 place and stepper instead of Y and modified the firmware pins for that.

However, when I connected the USB cable I could not connect to RUMBA. (After the initial setup I have only used SD-card printing with help of lcd and not connected the computer). I checked the board and realized that one component is burned that I probably need for succesful USB-connection. (I'm guessing it has been burned because of some ground-issues between the external 24V power supply and my laptop that also was plugged into the wall). I would like to know which component it is so I can replace it:.

Didn't have a camera good enough to take a photo but I have marked the component on the wiki picture:
    (On my card, this component is now in two pieces with burn marks around)
    Burned.jpg

My guess is L1 from the schematics but I don't have any values for it?

2. leclaron

leclaron New Member

Did you try swapping the jumper right below the reset button? It switches the logic(Arduino) power source to usb and I believe is required to get the usb to connect properly.
    Hopefully this helped.

3. David Rosendahl

Yes, I know how that works :). And no, it is not required for normal connection as long as you have a main power connected as well, just be sure that both laptop and the main power has the same ground. (It might be required to use USB as the power source for programming the arduino, I'm not sure how the reset works there)

The problem here IS the burned component, there is no dubt here, its in two pieces with large burn marks! I just need to know what the component is so I know what to replace it with.

4. BubbleRep

BubbleRep Administrator Staff Member

Hi,

it's the following component you are refering to: WE-CBF 0805
    BR
    RepRapDiscount support team

5. David Rosendahl

Thanks!
    I replaced the component (with something similar) and now the board works again :).

roygpa likes this.