Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Help with LCD Smart Controller (RepRapDiscount)

Discussion in 'RRD LCD Smart Controller' started by stefania, Mar 26, 2013.

1. stefania

stefania New Member

Hi everyone,

I need some help with my LCD smart controller from RepRapDiscount. I've got three and can't seem to make any of them work reliably. Here's what happens:
    I'm usually good as far as displaying information, and it's good at detecting the SD card. However, it often can't see anything on the card (I reformat, I try different cards, etc. - nothing helps), and only twice in many months have I been able to print successfully. The frustrating thing is that there are no obvious differences between success and failure modes, except that when the screen is blank (with just the rectangles lit) and I jiggle the screen, sometimes then the letters show up. Since jiggling is the only thing that helps, I'm wondering about the soldering and connections between the boards and it makes me worry about their quality overall.
    I'm using Marlin 1.0.0 on a RAMPS 1.4 board and have triple checked that I've got the correct firmware, pins, etc. I've tried .g and .gcode file formats, putting the files in folders or not, and none of it seems to make a difference. I've experimented extensively with different setups of ribbon cables, and have determined the single way my boards like things to be.
    Has anyone had similar experiences? How did you fix it? What else can I try?
    Thanks!
    Steph

2. Lukas

Lukas New Member

Hi

Do you have any solution for this problem? Because I also have this problem!

Lukas

3. stefania

stefania New Member

Hi Lukas,

My best advice is to put in a support ticket and get replacements. We got some that seemed to be from a new batch that have been working very well.

Other things that help are using ribbon cables not more than 25-30 cm long, and being very careful with them since they're extremely fragile. When I posted this on the MendelMax google group I was advised to only format SD cards with Windows and to try .g file extensions (instead of .gcode), but these suggestions didn't help me.

Good luck!
    Steph