Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

How to wire PS_ON Headers and 5VSB

Discussion in 'RUMBA' started by nickprins, May 2, 2014.

1. nickprins

nickprins New Member

Hi everyone,

I'd like to enable the ATX power-on feature on my RUMBA. At the moment I just have a jumper connecting the power supply PS_ON to ground and manually turn the machine on and off. Could someone please explain how to connect the PS_ON and 5VSB to the RUMBA board. I know on RAMPS I use to connect the 5VSB to the header labelled VCC and PS_ON to PS_ON but it isn't clear to me how to accomplish this on the RUMBA.

Nick

2. phd0

phd0 New Member

Hello, i'm french (so pardon my poor english)
    I like to do this too.
    My first think is to connect the PS-ON (green wire + black wire) to the RUMBa PS-ON jumper.
    and put off the jumper near the X-Stpeer driver (jumper use to select from USB-5V or Regulated 5V) and conncet directly the violet wire to the central pin of the 3pin select jumper. (and any blach wire to some GND pin)
    The PWR-OK wire (grey wire) may be user to ligth some LED to valid the Power is good

But, ... I don't test it at hall, i havent yet modify my ATX PSU to do that.

3. nickprins

nickprins New Member

Hi,

I think you're spot on with the PS_ON and ground wiring. I'm just wondering about supplying the constant 5V from the power supply. Do you know what the purpose is of the PWR jumpers on the left of HE0?

Nick

4. phd0

phd0 New Member

Well look at this image : The jumper a say is the one at the left (marked USB Power) of the X emplacement of the Stepper Driver.
    Remove the jumper a user the center pin only to plug in tu the ATX Violet Wire.
    User the - PIN 5V near the TX RX LED to connect to the GND 0V of the ATX PSU (black wire).
    Philippe
    [​IMG]
    PCB version 1 - Photo from http://www.reprap.org/wiki/RUMBA

5. nickprins

nickprins New Member

Hi Philippe,

I haven't had the chance to try this yet, but I'm sure you're right. What I will do when I get a moment is to connect as follows.

From ATX PSU 24 PIN PC Main Connector:

PS_ON from ATX PSU -> PS_ON pin on RUMBA​
    GND from ATX PSU -> GND pin next to PS_ON on RUMBA​
    5VSB from ATX PSU -> Middle pin of USB Power Selector with the jumper removed. ​

From ATX 12V Only Connector (4 pin):

12V from ATX PSU -> 12V MAIN_PWR​

From PCI-E 12V Connector (6 pin):

12V from ATX PSU -> 12V HB_PWR​

I'm using a ATX distributor board as in the image.

My last question is, you mentioned connecting one ground to the pin next to PS_ON, and another to one of the other ground pins.

Is this necessary considering I've already grounded it via the pin next to PS_ON?

FYI, atm I'm powering it all with a simple 12V LED PSU.

Thanks for the help Philippe, I will update when I've tried it.

Nick[​IMG]

6. phd0

phd0 New Member

In the schema of the RUMba card, the Header of PS-on is in the PIN1 and GND in PIN2. so the second GND is optional. Don't inverse with your ATX distributor board Jumper connect
    The PS-on is connected to the PIN39 (PL4) of the ATMEGA.

In your ATX distributor board the 5Vsb is not connected to a connector.. you must get it manually

And where did you by it ? I'm interesting ...

7. nickprins

nickprins New Member

You're right about the 5Vsb, I'll probably remove it from the 24 pin or just cut it and bypass the distributor board.

I got the board from emakershop.com. Just google emakershop atx power distributer [sic] v2. Another option, and more flexible is the ATX PSU Dev Board from Ultimachine. See http://reprap.org/wiki/Atxpsudevboard