Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Is my Rumba dead?

Discussion in 'RUMBA' started by CanChris, Apr 19, 2013.

1. CanChris

CanChris New Member

Hi all,

I just ordered and received my Rumba board, and have scanned through the forum. I have switched the jumpers to usb power, got the driver installed, it is seeing it, but I am getting a communication error when I try to push Marlin to it. My experience in the past has been this is a issue with the transport hub, but I am open to suggestions to try.

2. pomalin

pomalin Member

what error ? What OS ?

3. CanChris

CanChris New Member

I am using windows 7, tried it on two computers, one 32bit, one 64bit. I am trying to upload Marlin and am getting a timeout error. avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout

4. BubbleRep

BubbleRep Administrator Staff Member

did you try different shielded cables?

5. CanChris

CanChris New Member

Yes, neither of the ones I had worked. both are shielded.

6. CanChris

CanChris New Member

From what I can tell, the rumba card keeps resetting the connection. I have tried the cables on different electronics (portable hard drive and camera) both work fine.

7. pomalin

pomalin Member

It seems it's the same issue as with the taurino, I don't know well windows, but what I have found, is that the test firmware is talking too much, and that I can always upload with an ich8 chipset but not on an ich7, have you try different usb ports on your computer ? And do you know your usb chipset ?

8. CanChris

CanChris New Member

I can't even load firmware on...so I don't think it is the same issue.

9. pomalin

pomalin Member

It's what I say, I can't load a single firmware on it with the ich7 chipset, but I can with the ich7, but I was thinking it's linux related, have you try this that I found on sparkfun ?
    Code:
        Go into device manager.
        Find the failed device.
        Go into its properties.
        Click Driver tab.
        Click Update Driver.
        Browse my computer.
        Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
        Uncheck the Show Compatible hardware.
        Click have disk button.
        Find your Arduino program folder and go into its Driver folder.
        Click on Arduino Mega 2560 REV3.inf (Or what ever yours is)
        Click ok etc until out and walla you should now see it.

10. CanChris

CanChris New Member

I did try this out. It didn't affect it at all. I am at a loss now. Any other thoughts? I have 4 other boards, taurino and arduino mega 2560's and they work fine on the ports. I have tried other ports.

11. BubbleRep

you can try out to reflash the bootloader of your rumba with an arduino Mega 2560 board the ArduinoISP Sketch http://playground.arduino.cc/Code/MegaISP i'm not sure right now, but i think you opened also a ticket so we can also exchange your board.

BR
    BubbleRep

12. CanChris

CanChris New Member

Hi,
    Ok, I reflashed it, it is taking firmware now. New problem though, when I am printing now, the board is locking up. What now?

13. BubbleRep

what do you mean with locking up?

Best Regards
    BubbleRep

14. CanChris

CanChris New Member

So I start a print through the computer and part way through the print, it just stops. The software is still responsive, but the rumba isn't processing commands, like a buffer is full. I have tested with my arduino 2560 board and ramps 1.4, and it goes all the way to completion on a print. With the rumba, it just stops mid print. Thinking that it is a problem with the boards connection to usb, I connected a sd drive, and it finishes the print every time. The problem, I need the printer to go through usb. I have used pronterface and repetier host to test it out. I think it is time for a new board or is this a problem with all rumba boards?

15. CanChris

CanChris New Member

So, is there any further advice? I have purchased a new cable in case that was the cause of the disconnections, but it is not. I have opened a ticked, could you please get back to me in there.

16. pomalin

pomalin Member

Did you try to pause and relaunch the print when it stop ? Just to see if it can awake your printer.

17. CanChris

CanChris New Member

I did try this, but it doesn't come back. It is like the buffer on the board is full, I am suspecting the board itself or memory on the board is bad.

18. CanChris

CanChris New Member

I haven't had word back about my ticket...

19. CanChris

CanChris New Member

I have been waiting for a response to my ticket. The board is suffering from the similar issue with the taurino, where it will randomly lock up while printing. Is there any solution for this yet? I still have a open ticket and would like a replacement board shipped to me to test out further.

20. pomalin

pomalin Member

have you try another usb cable, and have you tried printing from sd card ?