Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Manual???

Discussion in 'RUMBA' started by Phoenix, May 6, 2013.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

I bought the RUMBA as well as 5 DRV8825 stepper drivers capable of 1/32 microstepping, yet I can't find any information on dipswitch settings or any of the jumper settings for the RUMBA, is there a manual somewhere?, I checked the RepRap Wiki and all it has is just general information about the RUMBA and the technical specs, but no technical settings, can anyone help?.

2. Yves

Yves New Member

The Rumba is not ready to accept those driver.
    The Rumba can go no further than 1/16 microstepping.
    The Megatronics, an equivalent board as Rumba is equiped with jumper to support 1/32.

3. RUMBA dancer

RUMBA dancer Administrator Staff Member

Rumba
    This is not correct. All drivers have 3 mode select pins (MS1/MS2/MS3).

The standard driver can choose between 1,1/2,1/4,1/8,1/16 microsteps via the jumper.

The DRV8825 can select between 1,1/2,1/4,1/8,1/16,1/32 microsteps via the jumper.
    More details about the ModeSelect pins (jumper settings) here: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/slvsa73d/slvsa73d.pdf

This means RUMBA and any other board with pluggable drivers (e.g. RAMPS) can use DRV8825 with 1/32 (and all other) microstepping

4. Yves

Yves New Member

In fact can you tell how to get those working on a Rumba at 1/32 microstepping ?
    Because the three jumper on the Rumba are suppose to give no more than 1/16.
    Can you tell with some more appropriate explanation than giving us the Texas instrument link.

5. RUMBA dancer

Sure: Page 10 of the TI manual gives you the following table for 1/32 microsteppeing:

Mode2/Mode1/Mode0
    1 / 0 / 1 --> 32 microsteps
    1 / 1 / 0 --> 32 microsteps
    1 / 1 / 1 --> 32 microsteps

This means with any of this ModeSelect combinations you get 1/32 microstepping out of a DRV8825

Now looking on the switches/jumpers under the driver you have the order MS0/MS1/MS2 (reverse order compared to TI datasheet)

==> switch/jumper position

On/Off/On or
    Off/On/On or
    On/On/On

will all make the DRV8825 do a 1/32 microstepping.

6. Yves

Yves New Member

Can you tell what difference does it makes while printing to be in 1/16 or 1/32 ?

7. RUMBA dancer

For x/y it doubles the resolution. For extruders it allows to push the filament in more fine steps / granularity. If you print small parts with a very small nozzle (0.3 or 0.2) then you can see the difference immediately. In case you print big objects with a 0.5 or bigger nozzle then you will not see any difference.

8. Gord The Rogue

Gord The Rogue New Member

Hello, I would like to use this driver: http://www.massmind.org/Techref/io/stepper/THB6064/index.htm
    Can I reach the 1/64 microstepping with this driver on the Rumba?
    The driver has compatibility with pololu and has jumpers for microstepping setting.

Thank you.

Here you can see a video working with the RAMPS:

9. chattermark

chattermark New Member

Whereas the docs show the relationship between the switch numbering and the setting, the jumpers have been placed rotated by 90°, and so far I have not found a descrition of what jumper corresponds to what MSx.

10. Vulcan Grey

Vulcan Grey New Member

My RUMBA also had the jumpers rotated compared to the board layout and board image on the wiki page. http://reprap.org/wiki/RUMBA

If you have the board in this orientation, (with the stepper drivers removed, mine are DRV8825) then M1 is the top, M2 is in the middle, and M3 is bottom.
    with DRV8825

step mode
    Jumper
    1 2 3
    0 0 0 Full step (2-phase excitation) with 71% current
    1 0 0 1/2 step (1-2 phase excitation)
    0 1 0 1/4 step (W1-2 phase excitation)
    1 1 0 8 microsteps / step
    0 0 1 16 microsteps / step
    1 0 1 32 microsteps / step
    0 1 1 32 microsteps / step
    1 1 1 32 microsteps / step

[​IMG]

chattermark likes this.
  11. chattermark

chattermark New Member

Thanks for the very useful information!
    What kind of glue did you use to fix the heat dissipators on the modules? I was thinking of a drop of steel-epoxy (epoxy containing very fine steel particles)

12. Vulcan Grey

Vulcan Grey New Member

I used heat sink compound.

13. christianmella

christianmella New Member

I also bought a Rumba with the 6 DRV8825 (http://www.reprapdiscount.com/electronics/55-rumba-board-incl-drv8825.html). All the drivers cam already installed and my question is:

Upon all I read, it is my understanding that my board came the following configuration :

1 1 1 32 microsteps / step

Which means I should configure the firmware for 1/32 microstepping.

Can you please confirm me if I´m right?

14. Vulcan Grey

Vulcan Grey New Member

Yes, if you want to use 1/32 microstepping, then you will need to tell your firmware how many steps per mm, which will account for the microstepping. In Marlin, that is how you set it anyways. For example my Mini Kossel with 1.9deg/step motors, using GT2 pullies with a 2mm pitch, and 1/32 microstepping, my setting is 200steps/mm. Then the Extruder gets another number that needs to be calibrated to steps/linear filament extruded.

I am using 1/32, and it is working fine. Much quieter than 1/16 microsteping.

15. christianmella

Thanks a lot Grey. I´m familiar with the Marlin configuration, I just wanted to know if the hardware was already configured for 1/32.

16. Vulcan Grey

Vulcan Grey New Member

Yes, if you have all 3 jumpers, then it is set for 1/32 microstepping.

Don't forget to adjust the current limiting on each stepper driver before any damage happens!

Make sure you read the instructions for the DRV8825 here.
    http://www.pololu.com/product/2133

17. christianmella

I believe that for all the 3 jumpers you mean those 3 that are solded in the picture, right? (the one labeled as MS1, MS2 & MS3)

Attached Files: