Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Print freezing in the middle

Discussion in 'RUMBA' started by stephen.jensen3, May 6, 2013.

1. stephen.jensen3

stephen.jensen3 New Member

I have a rumba that is having troubles printing. I am able to start prints but sometimes it will just stop printing in the middle of a print and I have to restart the print to get it working again. I know that it is not the stepper motors overheating and I have already switched out the USB cable without any luck. I am communicating using the fastest baud setting (250000 or whatever it is).

Has anyone run into this? When the print stops, the motors are still engaged but if you wait long enough they losen up. Pressing start and stop in the cura software (in os x) does not make it restart. I am running the latest version of marlin on a mendel max 2.0. I heard someone discussing on a mendel max forum that it is possibly an issue with the bootloader, but I do not have knowledge of that sort of thing. I am sometimes able to complete small prints but larger prints totally stall at some point and it is not reproducible where it stalls if I restart it but it likely still does.

2. pomalin

pomalin Member

Did you try printing from the sd card ? If yes did it do the same thing ? If not, try it, I had a similar issue with two taurinos, but since I plug it to an usb hub, and this usb hub to my computer, no problems at all.

3. stephen.jensen3

Thanks for the suggestion pomalin! I tried printing a small object over the sdcard which failed over USB and it worked perfectly with the sd card. I am excited to try a larger object so see if that fares better as well.

What are the details about your usb hub fix? Is your usb hub powered or does it just draw from the usb of the computer? What exactly is the reason that the printer would be so much more stable using a hub?

4. pomalin

pomalin Member

the details, are just that I have two printers plugged onto this hub that is not powered externally, just the printers plug to the hub, and the hub plug to the computer, I don't know why it work, but it work, I have several fails before, and zero now, and the only thing that I change is the hub, so ...... it's an old APM hub.
    http://www.apmfrance.com/index.php?...b-4-ports-usb-20-&catid=73&Itemid=117&lang=fr

5. stephen.jensen3

So as an update using an SD card seems to prevent the random stops I had while printing. I am now having a slightly different issue. When I was printing a large box (100x150mm2) it printed perfectly for about an hour and then all of a sudden it tried to zero the X axis which involved it very violently slamming into the X endstop. Sometimes now when I start a print I get the opposite effect where it will go to the maximum X extent and start grinding the motors. I include an XYZ homing in the gcode when I start and I told the printer that my limits for X and Y are actually under what they are in reality so I am quite confused why this is happening. I could see this second issue with starting having to do with the printer thinking it has a different bed size than it does, but the first issue where I had it printing perfectly and then it freaked out is a mystery to me. Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks for your help!

6. BubbleRep

BubbleRep Administrator Staff Member

7. stephen.jensen3

Sorry about the delay but I finally got around to purchasing a second arduino so that I could flash the firmware.

Can you tell me which ISP connection I should be using for using an arduino as a ISP programmer? Your image seems to indicate the one closer to the USB but the orientation of the ISP connections indicates the one directly below the power switch.

Also, once I have the 2 arduinos hooked up and the ISP programmer connected via USB to the computer, I know that I load up the arduino software and then send the ISP programmer software to the first ardino. After, what exactly do I do? In particular, how can I send the hex file you gave to the device?

Thanks!

8. stephen.jensen3

Hi again,
    I thought that the rumba board was a 2560 not a 16u2, which is it? I go to use avr dude and I get the following error on my mac:

sjensen$ avrdude -P /dev/cu.usbserial-AH01L38U -c avrisp -b 19200 -p atmega16u2 -U flash:w:16u2.hex -U efuse:w:0xf4:m -U hfuse:w:0xd9:m -U lfuse:w:0xff:m -U flash:v:16u2.hex -U efuse:v:0xf4:m -U hfuse:v:0xd9:m -U lfuse:v:0xff:m
    I had to eliminate the -C avrdude.config because I am not using a serial port.

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.06s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9801
    avrdude: Expected signature for ATmega16U2 is 1E 94 89
    Double check chip, or use -F to override this check.

avrdude done. Thank you.

My device signature is presumably that of the 2560 and I used the 2560 setting in arduino previously with no issues. Why the difference?

9. stephen.jensen3

This is what ended up working:
    avrdude -C /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -p m16u2 -F -P /dev/cu.usbserial-AH01L38U -c avrisp -b 19200 flash:w:16u2.hex -U efuse:w:0xf4:m -U hfuse:w:0xd9:m -U lfuse:w:0xff:m -U flash:v:16u2.hex -U efuse:v:0xf4:m -U hfuse:v:0xd9:m -U lfuse:v:0xff:m

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.06s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9801
    avrdude: Expected signature for ATmega16U2 is 1E 94 89

avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK

avrdude done. Thank you.

However, I am still having this issue where sometimes ~20% of the time when I start a print everything goes in turbo charged mode and it crashes against the X axis. Why is this happening?