Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Rounded off bolt extruder now useless...

Discussion in 'Bulldog Extruder' started by aaaaaa, Mar 28, 2015.

1. aaaaaa

aaaaaa New Member

I bought a bulldog XL and at first it seemed really well designed, pretty much perfect. Then I found out it wouldn't fit my e3d v6 despite several seller websites claiming it works with e3d hotends. I eventually found a washer that would make it work. I filed down the plastic enough to get the fan bracket onto it and then cable tied it to the z mount of my k8200/3drag. This was enough to print a proper mount. I printed the mount successfully. After days of frustraton and dodgy modifications I almost had everything in working. I went to disassemble the extruder so I could place the new printed mount over the reduction gearbox.

I unscrewed one of the two identical end plate bolts with the hex head. The other was on obviously too tight and the allen key rounded off the head the first time I tried to turn it. I hadn't touched it previously. Why the hell is the hex head so small when it doesn't have to be? Now it is stuck in there and the nearly $200 I spent for this extruder is down the drain. This is the latest in a long line of purchases plagued with incompatibility problems and poor design just trying to get this piece of garbage to print. If it were half organized 3D printing would seem to be a giant scam. I am close to throwing the whole thing in the trash.

Is there some way I can fix this? I thought about trying to drill it out but the bolt is tiny and there are so many things to ruin in the process.

2. kuebelkiller

kuebelkiller New Member

Hello
    Very frustrating sometimes indeed. Drilling that screw is the only chance I fear.

Good luck

3. b.wal

b.wal New Member

HI There

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the extruder.
    With damaged screws like that using your imagination is better than some of those fancy screw extracting tools.

I like you have recently bought a Bulldog XL and e3D v6 hotend, for use on my K8200
    I considered using the mount on thingiverse which involve you disassembling the unit in order to insert the mount in the middle.
    But didn't want to risk what has just happened to you, or it not going back together.
    I draw up a mount for the k8200 which holds the bulldog XL without needing to remove any of its covers. I will be uploading it to thingiverse soon when time permits.
    If due to this your printer is totally our of action, I can possibly print my mount for your and send to you.
    I understand all too well the frustrations of the k8200, and incompatibilities between different equipment.