Welcome to reprapdiscount.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Rumba Endstop Signal and Ground Pins?

Discussion in 'RUMBA' started by roygpa, Feb 20, 2013.

1. roygpa New Member

Could someone tell me which of the three pins I should be using for my mechanical end stop? I've been told I need to connect to the signal and ground pins, but which pins are signal and ground?

I am using pelletier firmware as I cannot get Sprinter and Marlin to work with this board. Not yet anyway.

Thanks.

Roy
  2. BubbleRep Administrator

on the top left corner on the board it's written + - S, - is GND=ground and S=Signal

BR
  3. roygpa New Member

Thank you. I was not able to get any combination of pins to work with my mechanical endstops.
    Could you tell me if the the pins.h table on the wiki page here: http://reprap.org/wiki/RUMBA is correct?
    with X min pin 37, y min pin 35 and z min 33?
    Repetier used the same numbers in his pins table. Could that be what is causing my problems?
  4. BubbleRep Administrator

that pin out is right, yes.

and of course they use the same pins.h association, since it's same board and supposed to do the same stuff.

you are not using our mechanical endstops, are you?

BR
  5. roygpa New Member

Yes I am using mechanical endstops. I will try again this evening.
    I thought the pins might be incorrect in the table because they are different in the schematic.
    The schematic says X min 53, Y min 55 and Z min 57
    the table says with X min pin 37, y min pin 35 and z min 33.

Thank you.
  6. roygpa New Member

sorry, no I am not using your mechanical endstops, just some that I bought at a local store. Should I be connecting to NO or NC side of the switch along with the C pin?
  7. roygpa New Member

I have connected to the Signal and ground pins and have tried both Normally Open (NO) and Normally Closed (Nc) with the other wire connected to the Common. and the endstops are not working
  8. BubbleRep Administrator

did you measure if your endstops are functional? did you check if your endstops are even activated in your firmware? did you try multiple endstop pins on the rumba board?
  9. roygpa New Member

Multiple endstops, multiple pins on the board and checked the endstops with a meter. Made changed firmware and changed again. I'll figure out the right combinations one of these days.
  10. BubbleRep Administrator

you can try to shortcut those pins by hand, move a motor according to an axis and try to activate the endstop by shortcutting the - and S pin of a min. endstop for that axis.

Tried that just with my rumba, the X axis, X min and marlin.

BR
  11. roygpa New Member

Do you think I might have damaged the board when I hooked my mechanical endstop up to the + and - and then the + and S pin to try to get it to work?. Perhaps that it the reason I cannot get the signal to the board. Luckily for me, I purchased a second board and can just switch the driver over to the second board and try it.

I will also try your suggestion above shorting the pin by hand. if that works then I know the problem is with my endstops, though I did check them with a meter.
  12. roygpa New Member

I switched the stepper drivers around and the connected all three endstops and entered a M119 command and it return all three endstop as High, when pushing the switches all three show low. Either way all the axes move with the endstops pushed. With all three endstops connected the Rumba board disconnects from my computer quite often. Something about the endstops seemd to make it unstable. I use the same computer with and Azeeg Version1 and sanguinololu and do not have problems. Is my endstop problem in the firmware?
  13. roygpa New Member

Looks like the problem is my fault, I will confirm later today. I was not aware that Repetier software doesn't check the endstop conditions at all time unless you tell it to. I will also twist the endstop wires to try to stabilize the board and prevent connection/dropped port issues.
  14. BubbleRep Administrator

yeah i can't realy help you with repetier, never used it, i used Marlin firmware.

BR
    BubbleRep
  15. roygpa New Member

Yep, it was my fault. I changed the settings and my endstops are now working.
  16. BubbleRep Administrator

so both boards are fine?

could you maybe explain what you did in repetier firmware to fix it, so others don't get into the same trouble?

BR
    BubbleRep
  17. roygpa New Member

I was having problem with my endstops not responding. I also wasn't sure if I needed a high or low response when entering the m119 command. I found that I need the (L) response.
    The is a command in the configuration.h "Alway Check Endstops and I need to change it to true. A false comment makes it so it only looks for the endstop when homing. I was accustomed to Sprinter and it always responds to endstop whether homing or otherwise. At least that is how I have Sprinter setup.
  18. roygpa New Member

I am having problems with the board detecting my thermistor for my heated bed. Repetier says that the thermistors ( I have tried 3) are defective and registers a temp like 1081 degrees C when at room temp. When I connect my extruder thermistor to the bed temp connectors, Repetier says it is defective too. I have checked all of the thermistors with a meter and all have resistance around 100 k ohms. I do not have power to the bed yet (QU-BD Silicone 300x300 mm) as it draws too much current for the board. I am thinking that I changed something in the firmware and cannot figure out what I did. I have asked on Reprap.org but have no responses yet. when I figure it out I will report back here with the solution. Everything else seems to be working fine with the board. My next purchase will be one of your LCD displays. The one you sell for $49.00 works on the Rumba, right?

-Roy
  19. BubbleRep Administrator

did you check your configuration.h, you have to setup your thermistor there and select the right thermistor table for your thermistor (in marlin and sprinter it's the Thermistor 1)

BR
    RepRapDiscount support team
  20. BubbleRep Administrator

yes our smart controller work with rumba.

BR
    RepRapDiscount support team