Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Rumba freezes during print

Discussion in 'RUMBA' started by noobart, Oct 29, 2013.

1. noobart

noobart New Member

I switched from a Printrboard to Rumba a while ago and since then my printer stops printing sometimes. Sometimes after half an hour, sometimes after 10 hours of printing without problems. I have to reset the board and restart the whole print (which is annoying after 10 hours) I read another thread about this but it didn't help.
    Has anyone else this problem?
    btw. I'm using repetier-host and Marlin firmware to run my Rumba...

greetings,

noobart

2. Nohtal

Nohtal New Member

I had this problem not with this board but just with my printer. The solution was that I had some LEDs on my printer that were shorting out during my print, randomly. The LEDs had gotten too hot one day and the rubber around them had started to crack and when my printer started vibrating quickly it caused the LED strip to short. So maybe you could look into something shorting on your board??

3. 3machine

3machine New Member

I had this problem too.
    I'm printing from SD now, it seems to be ok

4. Nohtal

Nohtal New Member

I talked with Traffid_Hunter and he said that interrupts are usually due to electrical interference or a bad USB cable. This has started happening to my Rumba as well. I want to print from SD but my sd initialize keeps failing...

5. 3machine

3machine New Member

My usb cable is 60cm long, gold plated, and new. I installed ferrites on Vcc 12v, HE0, HB0 to lower interferences. It still sometime freeze
    The SDcard reader stopped failing after being correctly plugged ( red cable on the upper left).

6. Vulcan Grey

Vulcan Grey New Member

My Rumba has been freezing as well. I was printing from the SD card on the REPRAPDISCOUNT smart LCD controller.

It was a 4 hour print, it stopped about half way. The LCD showed that the hotend had been turned off and was cooled down, the motors stopped where they were, and the progress on the LCD showed 0%. It looked like it had rebooted.

I edited the text file and restarted the print at the same level and it printed fine for about an hour and stopped again, same as above. Looked like it had rebooted. I had been watching it for several minutes right before it stopped the 2nd time, and I heard the motion quit so I went and looked at it right away.

I have a laser pyrometer temperature probe, but the hotend was already cooling down, so I figured the stepper drivers and CPU would have cooled down as well.

I'm guessing this is a heat issue, but wondering if I should flash the updated firmware for the Atmega 16u2? http://forum.reprapdiscount.com/threads/print-freezing-in-the-middle.625/

7. 3machine

3machine New Member

8. Vulcan Grey

Vulcan Grey New Member

My power supply to the RUMBA has a ferrite bead. All my wires are twisted.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I put a fan on the RUMBA and that seems to have solved the problem.

My RUMBA works fine with USB or SD card, except for those freezes on this one part

9. Vulcan Grey

Vulcan Grey New Member

Froze again this weekend, tried the same file again and it froze in exactly the same place, so I figured it was an error in the g-code on that file.

I resliced the STL file after cleaning it up in Solidworks and that file printed fine.

So those RUMBA crashes were really just bad g-code.

10. Nick Jay

Nick Jay New Member

Hi, just a quick post to say that I too had issues with my Rumba board freezing and soon realised that if I routed the cables for the stepper motor drivers away from the USB connector all was well. The steppers switch up to 2 amps which is an intense pulse over the USB connector. Hope this helps.