Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

RUMBA Wiki

Discussion in 'RUMBA' started by RepRapDiscount, Jan 31, 2013.

1. RepRapDiscount

RepRapDiscount Administrator Staff Member

2. kknapp

kknapp New Member

Just received my board looks awesome. Any chance on updating the wiki with usable information on initial setup/configuration, initial/max baud rates, etc?

3. Alex

Alex New Member

Ditto. Really need help on initial setup / configuration. The mechanical / electrical seems fairly straightforward with the JPGs. Need some help on the software / firmware, next steps.

4. BubbleRep

BubbleRep Administrator Staff Member

well the firmware is setup same as for classic RAMPS / Arduino setup, except that the pins.h files needs to be modified according to wiki.

If you want to use more than one extruder you have to change the Extruder parameter in the configuration_adv.h file.

that's about it. That's meant for Marlin firmware.

BR

5. Alex

Alex New Member

Any recommendations on power supply? Specifically trying to understand minimum / maximum recommended watt, volt, amps.

6. David Rosendahl

David Rosendahl New Member

No one can answer that question with the amount of details you are giving. RUMBA takes 12-35V according to the specification and only use a few W. It's the rest of the components that decides what power supply you should use. (Especially the size/type of hot bed, number of hot ends and size/type of motors).

Normally 12V or 24V (24V is better IF your hotend, your hot bed and motors can handle it, low power stuff like small fans can be powered from RUMBAS 24V->12V converter). A huxley sized printer usually use 150-200 W and a Mendel sized 300-350W.

7. Alex

Alex New Member

So, if I just one to test one motor ... can I power with USB alone (just for test)?

And for build out (eg Mendel), can I re-purpose a PC power supply or would you recommend something different?

8. David Rosendahl

David Rosendahl New Member

First, this is not the right thread... :)
    All those questions have already answers on the reprap wiki and forum as well if you just search a little bit.
    USB 2.0 is maximum 5V*0.5A = 2,5W and a stepper motor is maximum about 1.0A*(12-24V?) 12-24W so No.
    Some uses PC power supplies but be aware that you might need to do some tricks to get a pc power supply to work. (google it)

9. Grant

Grant New Member

it is here Just 1 question
    Does the board need to be powered up to load firmware

10. BubbleRep

BubbleRep Administrator Staff Member

what do you mean? you have to power it via usb to upload firmware, but you don't need a external 12/24V PSU, you would need to set the power jumper to USB Power.

BR

11. Grant

Grant New Member

thanks i was just a little a head of my self i did not read every thing i found the jumper and uploaded the firmware and i love this little board it is going into my print tomorrow

What printer do u have i am almost funishing my mendel90 hybrid [​IMG]

12. Yves

Yves New Member

When I connect the board "unknown device" show up and impossible to load usb driver inf file

13. kknapp

kknapp New Member

Just an FYI, I update the pins.h file on the wiki to allow dual stepper drivers to be used for the Z axis. I had to move over to this to get my motors to work at full print speed.

14. James Tregaskis

James Tregaskis New Member

I am not getting any voltage from the heated bed pins - I have switched it on via Pronterface. I have connected and set up the heaed bed thermistor. Not sure what is wrong or what to check for, please help!

15. christoph mangold

christoph mangold New Member

can i power a raspberry pi from the +5V pin on the rumba board? it needs about 1A.

16. Luis Fraguada

Luis Fraguada New Member

Hello Christoph,
    I tried this yesterday an it works well. I also had a wifi module connected to USB and it works great!

17. Björn

Björn New Member

I would be very carefull with that..

The Stepdown converter LT1933ES6 is rated for max 600mA,
    This regulator is used to power all the logic and microcontroller..
    You better not mess with that.
    Better is to get a BEC for modelcrafting.. use the 12V to power that BEC and you have a decent 5v for the RPI

I also want to warn Rumba users about a Hardware design error I discovered.. and some people already had problems with it.
    There is a easy fix.

Pictures attached will explain.

Attached Files:

18. Perfect Biotics

Perfect Biotics New Member

Nobody can answer that question with the measure of points of interest you are giving. RUMBA takes 12-35V as indicated by the detail and just utilize a couple W. It's whatever is left of the parts that chooses what power supply you ought to utilize. (Particularly the size/kind of hot bed, number of hot closures and size/sort of engines).