Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Taurino Not working AVR DUDE error

Discussion in 'Taurino under Linux' started by rr2012, Feb 2, 2013.

1. rr2012

rr2012 New Member

2. rr2012

rr2012 New Member

I want to add to this problem that if i connect the intro in pronterface is not displayed as usual
    http://imgur.com/ow0X9KC
    Everytime i push the button something of the pronterface intro screen appears and now it happens again.

3. luca zabeo

luca zabeo New Member

uhmm sorry...i see to use the ubuntu, it's correct? i think to setting correctly the COM, anyway, if you have a win7 or other version, down the usb driver, connect usb port, the Taurino is not recognized, into control panel of widows, you upgrade the driver with the peripheric with "?", see you the number of serial port if connect the Taurino.

Open Arduino, Tools, Board, select Mega2560 or MegaDK, load firmware (Sprinter or Marlin) with File>Open

Into Configuration.H:
    #define BAUDRATE 115200
    and change
    #define MOTHERBOARD N_33 (for Taurino Power)
    Change the file, save and compiling and send.
    I use this method.
    I hope to help you because i have the same board :)
    Luke

4. rr2012

rr2012 New Member

thanx for your help, what you mentioned, i already what i tried and know as basic knowledge;-) to get thing started
    i use dmesg to check which dev its connected (what its name is)
    i learned things from these guys how to install arduino ide and get it working.
    the problem is, it works but then spontaneous it not working, i fix it i thought and then it did not worked, i checked the com ports everytime.
    and set them properly and even reset it and reboot computer, i even install ubuntu complete clean!
    i got the problem with 1.03 and 0.23
    i follow these sites for instruction to get it work in the past..
    http://blog.markloiseau.com/2012/05/install-arduino-ubuntu/
    http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?146,107925,107925,quote=1
    http://www.ladyada.net/learn/arduino/lesson0-lin.html

I chmod it correct it and remove britty. really i tried so much, now i am printing with a 1280 and it works flawless, really.
    i was hoping to get such a nice taurino which works as flawless as a 1280 now.but tomorrow i ship it back.

5. pomalin

pomalin Member

same thing here with ubuntu 12.10 and ubuntu 12.04, nothing seems to work, I have tried the blink program from arduino, tthe repetier firmware, the marlin firmware, with arduino 1.03, 1.02,1.01,023, but nothing, still the avrdude: stk500_2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout , I have try with three different usb cables, but nothing. Anyone can help ?

6. pomalin

pomalin Member

I have something new, in the monitor serie in arduino, I have this message, the same I have in pronterface if I connect to the board , it's repeating over and over :

Marlin: 1.0.0 RC2 - SUMPOD
    echo: Last Updated: 2012-04-18 | Author: stohn
    echo: Free Memory: 3147 PlannerBufferBytes: 2464
    echo:Using Default settings:
    echo:enqueing "G90"
    echo:SD init fail
    ok
    echo:enqueing "G0 X10 F3000"
    echo:enqueing "G0 Y10 F3000"
    echo:enqueing "G0 Z2 F3000"
    echo:enqueing "T0"
    echo:Active Extruder: 0
    ok
    echo:enqueing "G0 E10 F3000"
    echo:enqueing "T1"
    echo:Active Extruder: 1
    ok

7. RepRapDiscount

RepRapDiscount Administrator Staff Member

this is a test firmware on our boards, simply flash your board with the firmware you need

8. RepRapDiscount

i sent you the board FREE OF CHARGE for test because i have shipped some boards where the 16u2 was not programmed with any bootloader, u said you don't know how to flash an arduino board via ISP, so how i can help... also you have no possibility connect this board to a windows pc to look in device manager as what is the board recognized.

btw, between 1280 and mega2560 is a small difference, the mega1280 uses a FTDI chip and mega2560 uses atmel chip for com emulation and this topic you talked about, is NOT ABOUT TAURINO, it is a ONE YEAR OLD THREAD and and that time there was no taurino power on the market, so please, do not make taurino power bad, it is a common linux problem
    http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?146,107925,107925,quote=1

Also please take some time and read also this thread, which is also OVER ONE YEAR OLD: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,83079.0.html

9. pomalin

pomalin Member

Okay, as I have said to reprapdiscount in messages in ebay, the upload wasn't working, until I made a first uplaod with a windows computer, now all my computers, with any usb chipsets work as expected. I suspect the test firmware to avoid the upload by resetting the board, or communicate too much (see the log I have posted before with the messages continuing over and over beetween arduino IDE or pronterface and the board) once a new firmware is uploaeded all work, so if anybody that have problems can try with a windows computer and make it work, and try after that with the computer that wasn't working, perhaps we (customers) we will know how to made it.
    I have try after the upload with winodws, a MAC, it work, three different gnu/linux computers, it work. So.......

10. pomalin

pomalin Member

After some new tests I have found that computers with usb chipset ICH7 are causing problems, with marlin and eeprom chitchat enable pronterface or repetierhost are only capable of connecting and move the printer but not to print, and no upload of the firmware is possible, but if you have eeprom chitchat enable and a computer with an usb chipset ICH8, all work as expected, and if you don't enable eeprom chitchat or eeprom, so you can upload firmware with a computer with usb chipset ICH7 or ICH8 all work good.

11. RepRapDiscount

Good to know, thanks a lot for your tries, i will make this thread sticky

12. jcs

jcs New Member

I agree that the test firmware is "too chatty" interfering with the upload communications. Could we maybe have an option to stop it using the serial monitor?

I got it to work under linux here by using Win7. I had extensively tried 2 different computers with different linux distros with no luck. Here are the steps I took to get it working:

0. find a windows machine
    1. register with this news group
    2. download drivers
    3. find and install an unrar program for windows
    4. unrar the driver (why couldn't this be a zip file?)
    5. plug in the taurino
    6. go to control panel and find the device, then update driver, pointing it to the unrared folder
    7. download arduino software
    8. unpack the arduino software
    9. run arduino software and set board, serial port, and baud-rate (155200)
    10. upload the Basics -> BareMinimum example

I even had to try step 10 several times under windows before it took! The key may have been hitting the reset button with just the right timing after clicking on upload. Or I may just have finally gotten lucky.

After all this it works fine under Linux.

Hope this helps.

13. pomalin

pomalin Member

Do you know the usb chipset of the computers with gnu/linux you try ?

14. jcs

jcs New Member

No, sorry, I don't know the exact chipsets. However I can say only one was Intel. The others I tried were AMD and a pcmcia card with a NEC chip. These were old systems except for the AMD which is about 2 years old.

The win7 box was a recent HP laptop and even that gave the same problem, although it worked eventually. I would try the HP under linux, but since the problem is fixed I have nothing to test.

15. pomalin

pomalin Member

under linux in a terminal just write lshw -businfo and you will see what bus you have for usb, and if you want problems to come again, just upload the firmware again, with eeprom enable and eeprom chitchat enable (of course do it if you are sure to be able to upload the firmware agin without eeprom and eeprom chitchat.) I have found that ich8 usb bus work always under gnu/linux, but not ich7/nm10 so if you can confirm and give some info to know which buses work and wich don't work, it would be nice.