Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Unusable Rumba

Discussion in 'RUMBA' started by kert, Apr 20, 2014.

1. kert

kert New Member

Hi, I just purchased a Rumba with 6 A4988, but unfortunately, nothing went as expected...

I posted a ticket for the first problem i encountered, but after going through the forum, I quickly understood that tickets here are not really the good way for support ^^.

So, I connected the Rumba, with only the 12V and USB cable, and as soon as I turned the power on, one of the A4988 caught fire! (on the X axis) I unplugged it and replaced it with one of the others, and it seemed to go well...
    But then I wanted to upload Marlin to it, and the problems started...

I first tried with the USB cable, the board is correctly recognized as a RUMBA/TAURINO - ATmega2560 compatible(COM18) after installing the driver, but when i try to upload marlin I only get :

I saw absolutely nothing on the board, no led indicating the upload was actually going well, RX and TX leds are dark...

So I then wanted to see if I could upload it using the ICSP, I have a USBASP, but didn't do any better, neither with an Arduino as ISP...

I already use a RAMPS 1.4 daily on my mendelmax 1.5, and I have a long experience in electronic and atmel programming... which leads me to think the board is wonky ^^

I hope you can help me, either by telling me what to do, or by sending me a new board, would be sad if it were dead though...

Many Thanks

2. kert

kert New Member

Oh, I forgot, my order reference is : ILFDOOXLV

please give me an answer ;)

3. kert

kert New Member

Also, (still no response so I keep trying to save the board) I tried reprogramming the atmega16u2 which is in charge of converting the USB to serial for the main ATMega2560... But with no success, it seems like I cannot make it go in DFU mode (by connecting the reset pin to the ground pin on the m16u2 ICSP), and the tool I use (dfu-programmer) doesn't see it as DFU, but still as a "RUMBA/TAURINO - ATmega2560 co"... so I couldn't do anything about that...

End of log entry ^^

4. kert

kert New Member

Last news : After trying to read the flash of the Atmega16u2 on one of my Arduino uno, and on one of my arduino Mega, both respond perfectly
    I get this result:
    Code:
    C:\Users\Kert\Documents\Reprogrammation Rumba>avrdude -c usbasp -p m16u2 -F -U f
    lash:r:usb_chip.hex:i

avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update
    avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.01s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9489
    avrdude: reading flash memory:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 9.22s

avrdude: writing output file "usb_chip.hex"

avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK

avrdude done.  Thank you.

C:\Users\Kert\Documents\Reprogrammation Rumba>pause
    Appuyez sur une touche pour continuer...
    But, when I try the same on the Rumba (removing the usb powered cause I don't want to drain too much power which could disturb the process), I get nothing but this:
    Code:
    C:\Users\Kert\Documents\Reprogrammation Rumba>avrdude -c usbasp -p m16u2 -F -U f
    lash:r:usb_chip.hex:i

avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update
    avrdude: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
    avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
    avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions
    avrdude: Device signature = 0x000000
    avrdude: Yikes!  Invalid device signature.
    avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA16U2 is 1E 94 89

avrdude done.  Thank you.

C:\Users\Kert\Documents\Reprogrammation Rumba>pause
    Appuyez sur une touche pour continuer...
    So, My guess is the atmega16u2 is dead...
    I could try to pick one up from my uno, and replace the one on the Rumba, but it annoys me to do so without any response from you...

Also, if an administrator could move this thread to the "Rumba" section in "products" because I feel this could also help some others ^^

Thanks, bye

5. kert

kert New Member

Good evenning everybody, so I'm still not getting any response from reprapdiscount, which starts to make me a bit upset! I'm thinking about a paypal case if I don't get any reply in the week...

So I replaced the atmega16u2 that I wasn't able to read or write to, with the one I took from an arduino uno (it's the same chip for all the arduino types out there).
    [​IMG]

There is progress! I could then write the .hex file I could find on the Rumba Wiki page, and the process went smooth. But When I plug it to my computer, the first time I heard the windows sound that indicates it detected the device, but it only appeared for some secondes in the device manager... Hoping to find it back, i unplugged it and replugged it, and nothing since then...
    Also, the RX and TX that were dark, are now always on... It's not supposed to be this way I know, but I prefer light to dark ^^.

I can still read and program the chip, but I start to run out of ideas... Any help from REPRAPDISCOUNT would be APPRECIATED !!

6. kert

kert New Member

Alright, for the record, I filled a Paypal dispute... Sad to get to this but I feel like I don't have a choice...

7. kert

kert New Member

Got a refund within the hour after posting a dispute on Paypal, I stay satisfied with them, but i'm gonna use a Ramps, I give up with the Rumba even if I'm gonna keep trying to make it work... :/

8. RepRapDiscount

RepRapDiscount Administrator Staff Member

In case you try reprogram rumba after a shortcut, it's obvious that it will not work. The driver are directly connected to MCU

9. kert

kert New Member

Yes of course, but as the Atmega 2560 was fully functionnal (I can read, and program it with an usbasp, and a blink/fade program functions normally) I thought the 16u2 would be the same, anyway since I replaced it, there was evolution but no improvements.

10. phd0

phd0 New Member

Bonjour,
    J'ai eu un Pb relativement similaire (sans le dessoudage du 16U2) et en fait c'était le cable USB qui n'était pas bon.
    Avec celui renvoyé par e-motion Tech : tout marche bien.
    Essai a faire : mettre le jumper en position USB Power 5V et voir si la LED bleu reste allumée
    Philippe

11. kert

kert New Member

Bonjour,
    Oui j'ai aussi essayé avec deux câbles usb, le premier était celui d'un chargeur de mp3 avec un noyau de ferrite pour les parasites, et le deuxième était un câble de disque dur externe usb 2 blindé tout neuf. Et j'ai bien l'alimentation sur "usb powered", et tout s'allume, comme je l'ai dit plus haut, les led RX et TX sont même tout le temps allumées...
    Il y a aussi eu un driver qui a pris feu?

12. phd0

phd0 New Member

Moi, non pas de drivers cramé.
    par contre, le fait que les deux LED TX et RX reste allumée, c'est comme si le cable USB est non branché. (testé sur la mienne)
    et moi aussi, j'avais testé avec deux câbles USB (dont un pour DD) avant de galérer pendant des jours, avant de m’apercevoir que le connecteur USB de la RUMBa est très sélectif ...

13. kert

kert New Member

Est-ce que ça vient du connecteur? si oui il faudrait peut être tester en soudant les fils directement sur la carte, je vais peut-être essayer ça dans la journée.
    Et si ça ne donne rien je commanderai un câble sur e-motion tech, vu qu'ils sont en france ça devrait aller vite ^^

Et sinon tu saurais dire si leur câble a quelque chose de spécial?

14. phd0

phd0 New Member

le connecteur semble en effet capricieux.
    leurs câbles n'a rien de spécial, c'est une prise mini USB classique. sauf que tous les miens ne fonctionnaient pas.
    précise bien un câble mini US... sinon ils vont t'envoyer un Type B classique pour carte ARDUINO mega

15. kevbme

kevbme New Member

Was there a solution to the problem in the posts written in what I think is French?